Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post-Final Exam Activity - Junior Pharmacist

POST-FINAL EXAM ACTIVITY
JUNIOR PHARMACISTS


It's post-final exam period; the most exhausting period of the year for all teachers. It's taxing; having to pull up their sleeves to mark the students' answer scripts and at the same time, doing their normal chores.

My 1RK1 students seemed to be sick of playing cards and scrabble all day long and wanted to have something else. Frankly, one thing I have in common with these kids is the 'inability' to sit still for hours. I am grateful now that the nature of my job now requires me to walk around and move every now and then.

So when the kids asked me to organise something for them, I told them I'd work something out. And as I browsed through my ABM file, I found my long-lost advertisement cards.

I made them when I was doing my practicum. They're still intact. Quickly I made several copies of them and went to see Principal, Puan Hajah Zubaidah to seek permission to carry out the activity, request granted, and off we go.

I put the kids in groups, give each group a name list of all teachers, the advertisement card (on medicine) and told them to work in group and do whatever it takes to convince as many teachers as possible to 'buy' the medicine. Prior to the activity, I had asked my colleagues to 'play' along, by asking questions and 'try' the kids out, testing their communication skill and whether they have what it takes to sell the medicine.

And they moved in groups. While they walked around persuading the teachers, I equipped myself with a camera and snapped photos and videos.

Some of them performed quite well; they understood the advertisement, they have good persuasion skill, they speak convincingly and managed to sell their stuff to quite a number of teachers.

But equally significant number of them performed poorly; not only they don't understand the ad, they were too shy to speak, too reserved and rather lose the game. Some of them don't mind the talking, but they got all the facts wrong; like "this insulin is good for health, like vitamins" or "cikgu sakit kaki boleh la makan aspirin". We teachers went 'hahaha" listening to them, but I am quite impressed with the determination and efforts shown. Malini seemed to be enjoying the game, I supposed. She kept telling me how she managed to persuade some 'challenging' teachers who questioned her a lot on her product. Good on her.

I had also seen several kids struggling to speak. They are not stutterer, but talking to someone like teachers seemed to be extremely challenging to them. I am really quite happy to find a few of them putting an effort to step out of their coccoons and approached the teachers to achieve their goal. I saw Puan Hajah Zubaidah smiling as the kids trying to 'jual ubat' to her and was happy that she's willing to listen and play along, with whatever 'temberang' the kids trying to nail into her mind.

I am quite happy. And I hope the kids enjoy the game as much as I do.

And of course, I'd like to thank all teachers in SMK Kulai Besar who had helped me with these kids. Thank you so much, won't have achieve the objective without your help and cooperation. Thanks heaps.


Video - What did the teachers say
about the activity? Click on video to play

selling to Puan Khoo

Cikgu Zaharah listening to the kids

Cikgu Farah - the one hard to convince

Trying their luck with Pengetua, Puan Hajah Zubaidah

Puan Hajah Zubaidah listening to the kids from 1RK1 and 1RK2

Cikgu Sofian is an easy customer

Trying to convince Puan Aznain

Talking to Cikgu Nora

Cikgu Hilman - the impossible one with lots of inquiries

Cikgu Gan after agreeing to buy

5 comments:

williamlee said...

Well organised activities and good exposure for the kids .

Well done

Regards,
William Lee

KRK SMK Kulai Besar said...

Thank you Mr Lee. It's our pleasure to keep parents abreast with the school's management; for the sake of the kids, of course.

Since you're abroad, perhaps it's worth to let you know that if there's anything you want to suggest or find out about Lee Pik En's performace, and you wish to keep the communication private, you may email me at krk.smkkb.kulai@gmail.com. More detail contacts are available on our profile in the blog; phone numbers, address and fax.

Have a nice day ahead.


Regards,
Cik Zakiah Shokhaimi
Penyelaras KRK
SMK Kulai Besar

Unknown said...

i as student of smk tengku mahkota,muar.. it's really interesting. keep it up!

Unknown said...

i'm student of SMK TENGKU MAHKOTA,muar..dats interesting.

keep it up teacher.

Anonymous said...

hey semua.lelaki handsome giler